Mould in shipping containers can be a big problem. Any excess damp can linger inside a shipping container and mould can form of woods, fabrics & textiles, foodstuffs, paper and cardboard and more. When in use ot either ship your goods abroad or keep your gear dry and secure when used for static storage this can be a big issue. In this guide we detail some of the hazards and ways to avoid and prevent mould in shipping containers
Mould in shipping containers in a sign of collected water or damp inside the container itself. the Damp has got into the container via one of 3 ways:
- Damp has been carried into the container, (eg the container was loaded with goods whilst out in the open in the rain, so some of the rainwater was carried into the shipping container during loading.)
- There is a leak or defect allowing water into the shipping container. More often than not a leak will be in the roof or coming through an old or poorly done repair
- Untreated condensation has collected and then presumably dropped into the cargo space where it can then make your goods damp.
Treating mould in shipping containers
There are a number of way to avoid getting this damp into your container, which will then mean you have a much lower chance of mould in your shipping containers. the obvious solutions include:
- Ensure your container is loaded under cover or in the dry. If you are short of facilities please check out our container canopy products which can offer covered loading spaces for logistics operations at a very affordable price.
- Always check over a container after delivery / before loading with goods for holes or defects., Specific attention to be paid to the roof. If checking in daylight a common check is to ask someone (you trust) to close the doors with you inside the container. Any small pinholes should then be much easier to spot as they will more than likely be letting light through into the shipping container. Make sure any such holes are patched before sending it for export or before you load your goods inside for storage. Of course if you buy your container from us its guaranteed wind and watertight on arrival. If there are any holes (extremely unlikely but occasionally a mistake does happen) then please call us up ASAP and we will come and fix it for you free of charge.
- Condensation will always form on the inside of the roof, but its very rare for this to lead to any significant damp levels. In any case we’ve put together a host of treatment options for both exporters and owners of shipping containers used for static storage. Please feel free to check out our ultimate guide to shipping container condensation treatment options. This guide has a variety of condensation treatment options suitable for all customers.
Following these simple steps should help alleviate any issues with mould in shipping containers, but if not try to find the source of any moisture and see what can be done to reduce this or stop it completely.
If you are looking to source in a shipping container, all of our containers sold for domestic storage use as well as export use will come with our wind and watertight guarantee ensuring water will not get into the container of its own accord. We can also confirm that all our shipping containers will be sold mould free! Please feel free to browse our huge online range of shipping containers for sale, or you can of course contact us at any time.