Sales & Operations Trainee
We’re looking for a smart and personable trainee to join our growing business. We’re offering an excellent career opportunity for the right candidate.
Founded in 2011 Budget Shipping Containers has grown from nothing to become a major player in the shipping container trading market in the UK, and we have ambitions to continue our rate of growth for many years to come.
We pride ourselves in offering an excellent level of service whilst also working in a very competitive environment.
Recent events have meant a huge increase in demand, but we are also now pushing for our next growth stage and expect to significantly increase sales over the coming years.
This is genuinely very rare opportunity to join a small, fast growing and dynamic company. We have very different values to a lot of our competitors. We value a high level of service, and allow you to take pride in doing a good job. You will be able to help a huge variety of customers out and will have the opportunity to work on a range on interesting projects. We don’t want a short-term team member – we would like the right candidate to stay with us for a number of years and significant progression on both responsibility and salary is expected. Hard work is well rewarded.
We welcome constructive feedback on all aspects of the business and actively ask for staff to contribute their ideas.
You will have a regular annual review (usually every March or April for all staff), and assuming your learning and performance shows regular improvements, your salary offer will reflect this.
We are a very financially sound and secure business. Recent Experian reports show we have one of the lowest debt ratios and one of the highest level of assets and sales per employee for our industry.
Our customers are also very diverse, whilst day to day sales will usually be a single or small number of storage containers for one-off customers, here are some of the more interesting projects and customers we are working with in spring 2021
- A theatre made from 12x 40ft shipping containers for a very special and unique events company.
- Prototype catering pod custom built and about to be delivered to a major education sector supplier.
- Hire containers supplied to the owners for formula E racing for their cars to be shipped around the world.
- Containers sourced for a very unique events company near Blackburn for Halloween and Christmas attractions.
- Containers supplied to Maersk Training, the training division for the biggest shipping line in the world.
- Modified containers for Covid secure staff check in access rooms, undertaken for Exxon Mobil & delivered to their Fife refinery.
- Containers supplied to a regular Foreign and Commonwealth office supplier for diplomatic use.
- Storage container project for Sky TV UK.
- Converted smoking shelter customised to meet specific requirements for regular customer Sir Robert McAlpine Ltd.
You can also see some of the other interesting jobs we have undertaken in the past, in the case studies section of our website.
Our intention is to offer a better informed, more skilled and more helpful service than our competitors. With a very good quality website we help customers new to the products understand the options and try to offer impartial, practical advice to customers who all want something different from their container. We want to give the customer the honest best option for them, which often involves helping them understand the product(s) available and how our niche industry works.
At the staff level we currently have a single point of contact for our customers, who will deal with the same team member from initial enquiry through to delivery and beyond. We want our staff to take pride in ensuring a good job gets done well and that the customer leaves happy with the service offered as well as the product they have purchased.
We are contently working to evolve the scope of services offered to best meet customers needs
As a sales and operations trainee you will be helping with general day to day activities of all kinds. Full training will be provided as we expect most candidates will have little to no knowledge of the industry.
Once trained up, this role will have a very broad experience base across the business, we want to involve you with a wide range of our business activities including sales and operations support.
Each customer and job is very different, as are each customers needs and wants. Most of our jobs are plain shipping containers sold for storage use, but recently we have had a major uplift in the volume of conversion works and other interesting projects which look likley to continue. This additional workflow is putting a strain on our yards. Part of your work will be supporting our conversion activities and helping depots plan in work, as well as book it out as soon as possible after its ready.
The job role will focus on:
- Sales Support, Helping with quotes and processing of orders.
- Updating our website with new products and content
- Some management of our social media accounts.
- Operations Support. Assist with stock buying and management / control
- Managing conversion work with our depots
- Ensuring orders are booked in with haulers, and that checks are done with depots and haulers to ensure the delivery runs smoothly.
- After-sales support.
- You will need to be responsible, reliable and have a keen eye for detail. You will be well presented. A very high standard of spoken and written English is essential, as is the ability to deal with a diverse range of enquiries and clients.
- Cold calling sales leads is NOT a part of this job role.
However of real interest we hope will be the long term development opportunities from this role. We are a young, ambitious and thriving business, we expect to continue our current growth for many years to come. Whilst we can’t make any promises over future development, joining the team now and helping drive and grow the business further will put you in a very good position for long term career development. We don’t expect you to be a trainee forever and there is a clear path to develop into core sales and / or operations roles as you and your skills develop. Our expectation is for significant development of the role, and your salary over time.
If you want to become an expert on one specialist area, this position is probably not for you. If you wan a broad introduction to nearly all areas of our business, and the opportunity to specilise once well trained, then this could be an ideal opportunity.
- Excellent literacy
- Confident and fluent spoken English
- Good basic numeracy
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Computer skills: good typing speed, confident around MS Outlook, Word, Excel
- Personable friendly personality
- Ability to commute to our office in Wythall.
- You must be legally entitled to live and work in the UK.
- Any candidate fluent in European languages (spoken and written) will be considered a strong bonus but not essential (French, German, Spanish, Italian and Dutch especially, i.e. countries with a good number of container ports and operations that we are likley to buy from)
- We have no formal minimum academic requirements, a good dose of common sense, a positive attitude and problem solving skills are more important to us.
Salary Negotiable dependent on skills and experience. Anticipated £18-20k starting salary range, plus training budget and discretionary bonus (which may be formalised soon)
Hours 8:30am – 5pm weekdays
You should plan to work from our office 5 days per week,. we are discussing the possibility of some home working days for our team. This will only be on the basis that you want this, and that we are happy that you have suitable home working arrangements. We will likely finish the recruitment process before this is finalised so we are unable to offer any firm guarantees at this stage.
How to Apply
To apply please contact us with a CV and a covering letting telling us why you would like to join us and why you think you would do well in this role. Applications close midday Friday 7th May 2021.