Man Caves” and “She Sheds” have been around for many years. For someone who has the extra space, they can be the perfect getaway right inside the house. A new trend, however, is to create that perfect getaway inside metal shipping containers. There are many reasons that customized shipping containers are becoming more and more popular, but here are a few of the main reasons:
- Cost – Customised shipping container sanctuaries can be much cheaper than constructing a brick and mortar room or shed.
- Time – With no foundation and very little preparation required, a shipping container can be set up and ready to go much faster than your traditional shed.
- Durability – Shipping containers are built to last. Typically we suggest an exposed untreated used shipping container will last 10+ years, and a one trip will last 25 years with minimal to no maintenance. They can also be reinforced by adding external cladding (wooden frame), which can increase the lifespan. Repainting regularly an also help significantly increase the lifespan of any shipping container.
- Mobility – In many cases, a container can be moved. If there is a possibility of relocation in your future, a mobile man cave might be the way to go.
- Space – Maybe you don’t have a spare room in your house. Don’t worry, a shipping container can fit perfectly in the backyard, making it your literal home away from home.
- Eco-friendly – Buying a used container and re-purposing it will not only cut down on costs, but it will also be much more environmentally friendly than using new materials to build your space.
Step By Step
Getting yourself set up with the perfect shipping container “sanctuary” isn’t nearly as difficult as you might think. We can cover the basics in a 3 step process.
#1 Order Your Container:
Placing an order on your very own container can easily be done from anywhere in the world. You will need to decide if you want a new, used, or refurbished container, the size that you want the container to be, and then any other specifications that you would like to be included. There are many customizable features, but here are a few of the more common requests:
- Paint – If you have a preferred color, do not fear, a custom paint job can be included in your order.
- Doors and Windows – Depending on where your man cave will be located, what climate you live in, and your personal preference, you can decide to add doors, windows, or even a more open-aired side removal to your order. For DIY customers not equipped or keen to cut and work with metal, we can quote to do this in our yards before delivery of your container. We can mount the doors and windows to your own instructions (where you want), and we have a huge range of high security door options.
- Insulation – If you think that a more medium temperature and condensation treatment is going to be important for you, it would probably be a good idea to request a lined and insulated container, or If you are keen to do this yourself,m check out our ultimate guide to shipping container condensation treatments which offers some DIY tips.
- Electricity – For many people, electricity will be a necessity for their private space. If this is you, we can supply shipping containers with professionally installed electrics. You can customize number and position of sockets to be placed in your container, as well as lights and any other electrical fittings you need.
- Internal paneling. When lining and insulating a container for you, we can use any internal paneling option. Plywood and OSB board lining is cheap, but we can also offer food grade wipe clean melamine paneling, plasterboard to allow you to plaster and finish as you like, or pretty much any paneling material you would like us to use.
- Cladding – If you are looking for a more aesthetically pleasing exterior, adding a timber frame will have your “shed” looking top-notch.
Our containers are delivered on large trucks with cranes. We do need to get our truck very near to the spot your container needs to go. we can usually lift over hedges and fences, but not over large trees and houses. We are very used to working with tricky delivery locations, so please get in touch if you want more help and advice on weather we can deliver for you.
#2 Get Set-Up:
Once your customized shipping container is delivered you will just need to get set up with electricity connection. For this job, you should contact a qualified electrician. If you plan to have a bathroom or a bar in your container it will be necessary to contact a plumber as well.
#3 Decorate The Space:
Finally, when the container is all set up you can start decorating. This will be the fun part when you can really make the space yours. If you need some man cave/she shed decor inspiration, you can always search online to get some ideas. A good place to start is with a small room or tiny house decor. These sites and blogs can give you tips and tricks that will help you really optimize your space. You can also check with the shipping container vendor to see if they have photos from previous projects. Whether your space is going to be a home office, a rec room, a library, or a mini music studio you should definitely have a well-thought-out plan in order to utilize your space efficiently and effectively.
#4 Get help where you need it.
That’s it! Ordering a shipping container man cave can be a cheaper and faster, stress-free alternative to setting up your space somewhere else. Of course, If you wish to make this your personal longer-term DIY project you can absolutely order the basic shell of a container and do the work yourself. It is up to you to decide how much work you’d like to put in. Either way, it’ll turn out great!
Thanks very much to Porch.com for this guest blog post.
Budgetshippingcontainers.co.uk offer the UK’s largest online range of shipping containers for sale with a nationwide network of storage and conversion yards and crane equipped delivery vehicles.
If you need a shipping container feel free to browse our online range of shipping containers for sale, which also includes our ranges of flat pack sheds, container canopies and more. You can also call us on freephone 0808 1234 215 any time 9am – 7pm weekdays and our team will be happy to discuss your requirements. Alternatively, you can use our online shipping container quote form or request a telephone callback. In both cases we aim to get back to you within 1-2 working hours (may take longer for more detailed quotes).